Sunday, December 31, 2023

12/31/23

New Year's Eve.  Well Happy new year everyone!  


Work up early again today.  Sleeping has not been going well for me. Might be the Covid, might be the mattress. I'm just not comfortable.


Cut up some melon and fruit for breakfast, I had fruit and bagel with nova and an espresso.


While making breakfast I remembered. Years ago I use to get up early on a Sunday morning and go to the grocery store. One Sunday I was looking at the selection of cheese in the deli area. It was the case where the supermarket keep the “artisan” cheese.  While there was this guy. I would say old guy, but who is really old? Anyway, he saw at me looking at the cheese and started grumbling. Who would buy this? Why would you buy this fancy cheese? Why pay so much money for this cheese? American cheese is 69 cents a pound! Now I looked at the cheese before me, none of it fancy, mostly reasonably priced for what it is. It was not exotic cheese by any stretch of the imagination, feta, a blue, pecorino, possibly a Stilton.  People should just buy a American cheese,  not this fancy stuff, he opined. Cheese to him was something on a ham sandwich or slightly melted on a burger from a fast food place. He probably never enjoyed the salty, funky goodness of a Brie on a cracker. Or the satisfying taste of a Romano sprinkled on a well made plate of pasta.  I know that I could not and would not change his mind. There is a look of a man who is determined to have his  opinions and to let you know them whether you wanted them or not.  He clutched on to his deli sliced American cheese like a trump supporter with a red hat.  I looked at him square in the eye and picked up a ripe blue cheese and sniffed it and said, “I like a good cheese in the morning, it smells like feet!” I turned and walked away. 



Interesting tidbit, today is 123123.