Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Garnet 07






Sometime late Saturday night…..

The group formely known as the New Hope Nordics are back up at the Bazil house in Garnet Hill. The trip got off to a rocky start as Art got his Subaru stuck in the snow. I thought those 4 wheel drive things didn’t get stuck! The deep snow that is lousy for driving is just deep and fluffy, but just right for skiing! Last year’s garlic offering to the snow gods seems to work it’s magic. The skiing was fantastic only thing was yours truly got a blister again. I have to do something like walk in my ski boots to break in my feet before the season. Seems like the rest of the crew made the picture of the Week! What a good looking bunch of skiiers! This year’s dinner was a hit even though I just made pasta and garlic bread. There were a lot more things in the pot luck offerings. More desserts that you can shake a ski pole at! Tomorrow night Mike and Ellen are going to work their magic with dinner. I’m going to try something else with my heel. And the weather will give us some more snow.

….but somehow that new antler chandelier is disturbing!
Later Saturday Night….

I hate not being able to fall asleep. I have a house load of compatriots that are gently snoring and I’m out here in the dining room tapping away on the blog!

Sunday Morning….

My blister is preventing me from skiing. I’m going to try petroleum jelly on my heel next year to give the heel more slide. I rented the Bazil house for next year Garlic Hill 08 is set for Feb 08.
Notes from last night dinner. We had garlic bread, roasted garlic, Gemelli with tomato sauce and salad. The sauce was made from a jar of sun dried tomato pesto sauce, it was finely chopped in olive oil with pine nuts, that pesto was put into chopped garlic and olive oil, then a jar of tomato sauce is added. A very rich sauce indeed.
Note from dinner….

I made 4 pounds of pasta. 3 or maybe 2 may do it. 2 sour dough loafs were good for garlic bread. Two large bags of chopped lettuce is OK. Roasted garlic – Put bulbs of garlic with olive oil in the oven in a closed container. Roast for 2 hours at 325.

Sunday Evening……

Chris left for an early train. We tried to watch parts of the Blob on the computer’s DVD. We were looking for gaffes in the scene where they are running out of the theater in Phoenixville. We could not control the DVD player with enough fine detail. There was a cat hearding exersice when we had to move the cars to let Chris out to catch his train. I was driving Art’s car and the tires really stink for the snow. It’s the first four wheel drive car could not get up the driveway.

Dinner was great Ellen’s Red Lentil and Tomato soup was excellent. Very good even if it did not have the herbs de provance. Mike’s mac and cheese was a hit. But now we are up to our ears in pasta. Note to both cooks. Less pasta. But I’m a mac-aholaic I’ve been enrolled in a 12 sauce program and it had not detered me from any pasta. I have not met a shape that I did not like.

I tried to explain to Art the reason that the bus drivers would turn up the heat…. you know to make all the passengers in the back fall asleep. This is the same reasoning I guess that we serve all that pasta.

Meg and I tried to get the TV working even though that they have a Dish Network we could not figure it out. So the Oscars will go on without us.
Also, Art mentioned to us that Herring was the only fish that can be said while holding your tongue. Well soon as that was said a chorus of Cod, Halibut, Patagonian Toothfish was heard while people held their tongues.


Monday…..
Blister gone! Smeared heel with petroluem jelly and we headed out. Marilyn, Art and I took Blue Jay trail. We climbed to the lodge. The climbing was the thing that blistered my heel and I was feeling no discomfort. The temps were in the twentys it was a great snow day. About two inches of fresh power were on the freshly groomed trails. Marilyn and I decided to do Duffany’s Run. It is allways closed as it is pretty steep and gets icy fast. The snow was soft and not too packed. The snow gave way under the skis so in addition to snow plowing you had to do some tip management to keep them up above the snow. Coming around a right hand turn my ski dug in and over I went. About mid way down there is a 90 deg left turn which I never made. No dice today either went off the course and into the woods. We then took the long climb to the ski shop on Trapper. I had the shop fix my bindings that broke last year. And we head back to the house for lunch and to see Mike, Meg, Saul and Ellen off.

Tuesday….

House cleanup. We packed up cleaned up and hauled out. Got the house in shape and loaded the car. Said goodbye to Art and we for a shower. As I’m taking the shower Marilyn knocks on the door to say that Art got stuck in the driveway. I got dressed an Phyllis, Marilyn and I push Art out but he ended up deeped and up to his axels. AAA had to be called again. About an hour the same tow truck but a new driver came to rescue Art. He mentioned that his son dragged him out a few days ago, and that he hardly ever saw Subarus stuck… Anyway a few minutes and a tug on the cable an Art was free to go. We then followed and made it home easily.