Friday, February 01, 2008

An Almost Meeting.....



So there I was. Doing my regular Friday routine of driving to work. Running out of the house late and not having enough sleep. I knew there was going to be trouble, I could hardly keep my eyes open and I was repeating... " Gotta drive to Jenkintown.... Gotta drive to Jenkintown..." just so that I would not end up in the Ambler train station. I knew my inattention would catch up with me. But racing thru the neighborhood short cuts I found trouble. Or he found me. There he was. Black and white, two foot tall and all attytood! We'll call him Pepe la Pew, I caught him making like Joey Chestnut at the Wing Bowl, just jamming down some good eats right there in the middle of the road. After all this was his road, his garbage, just a lonely neighborhood street where the trashman comes late. Why should he be concerned, he is king of his world. That is, until some half awake nut, late for the train, commits gluttonus interruptus. I came upon him fast, he looked just like the preverbal wide eyed wilderness animal in the headlights. He ran right..... I swerved left.... He fired at me like an Iraqi with an RPG. The shot went wide! He missed! I got off lucky no collateral damage. The last I saw him was in the rearview mirror. He was standing next to a flattened street feast shaking his paw at me. I swore I heard him say... " I'll get you next time! Monsieur!"