Monday, August 23, 2010

Float switches and Pumps

Float switches and pumps are the bain of my life right now. Both on the boat and home I have had the failure of float switches. In both cases have averted disaster. On the boat I have a device called the stuffing box which is in the picture. It allows the propeller to turn and keeps the water out. Well mine is leaking. Bad enough but the float switch on the bilge pump failed and the boat took on water all week. Luckily we went down and we got it all pumped out. I had to go the West Marine and get a new switch and that fixed it. At home the float switch for the sump failed same as the boat. I changed the switch a week ago. Tonight it is raining and filling up the sump. The switch was not adjusted right. It was keeping the pump running. It almost burned out the pump. I found this out at 10pm with the local Lowes closed. I'm pretty sure I saved the pump and I readjusted the switch. I'll find out if we have a flood in the basement again. I took all the stuff off the floor just in case.