Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sailing


Woo Hoo!!! We finally had some good weather to go down to Rock Hall this weekend. There may be a problem though. I getting gas for the boat at the Shore Stop. When we left a woman came driving after us saying that we have left without paying and the woman at the store has taken out license plate number. We we went back and showed out receipt. She said I drove off with $25 of gas. "I my 5 gallon can? " I said. She had no idea what was going on. I told her my car is on "E" and I have 4 gallons I just bought in a can in my trunk. I shrugged, she shrugged I said well what now? I'll check the video taped she said. Hmmm. I've been waiting for the Rock Hall police to break down the boat door all weekend.

Anyway we got out on the boat. The new rigging got it's first real try. What I really would like is just to hoist a line and the sail to go up and hoist another on and the sail to go down and packed away. This new rigging is not it. An no rigging on my boat will ever be like that. But the modifications goes a long way to reduce the amount of work it takes to raise and lower the sail. The big thing is the lazy jacks which cradle the boom and the sails instead of letting it fall to the deck. Also we can adjust the sails pretty well from the safety of the cockpit. The wind was light and building as we went out and we controlled the sails well for the first time out with the new rig. We came in when the wind and drizzle had come up.

The sky cleared up in the late afternoon. There was first annual marina party at Spring Cove. We went after quickly whipping up a hummus dip with fixing from the boat ( no barnacles! ). We meet all the dock neighbors.

We then came home Saturday night as there was going to be rain on Sat night and Sunday.